News Binary Extractor
Warning: Discontinued project
This Windows application connects to News servers and decodes the binaries it finds in some selected newsgroups. Automatically, without user intervention.
Note: It needs the common controls shipped with Internet Explorer 4.0 (or greater) (that is COMCTL32.DLL version 4.71). You will probably have it already, but if you don’t, you can download it from the Microsoft web site.
- Files crossposted will be decoded only once.
- Encrypted server passwords in the registry. WARNING: the debug window shows the unencrypted password.
- More intuitive interface in the preferences window. Extensive use of popup menus.
- More logical working of the string selection code: when enabled only the articles with any “select” type string in their subject and without any of the “kill” strings will be decoded.
- Quicker newsgroups processing.
- Better cleaning of headers. Articles removed from the server are now deleted when accessing the newsgroup.
- GRP files are deleted with their newsgroups.
- Binaries Subject appear before the download so that they can be skipped.
- The skip binary function now does not keep the unfinished binary.
- Some lists header widths are now saved (servers, groups and joins lists).
- Connection and command sending is now retried any number of times (even infinite)
- Can now close immediately (NOT RECOMMENDED, it does not save the state)
- Tray icon tooltip changes with program state.
- Existing files are now renamed, overwritten or discarded.
- You can now delete all the servers.
- Multithreading. Main program downloads headers and articles while the binaries are decoded at the same time. Interface change.
- Support for a different uuencode (created at least with MacSOUP) and detection of uuencoded (or similar) one-line data.
- Detection of other programs configuration when adding servers (Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Internet News, NewsXpress & MicroPlanet Gravity)
- Configurable user level. Advanced options (server&newsgroups advanced configurations)
- Configurable decoder thread priority.
- Quicker processing in general.
- Disk space checking.
- Better duplicate detection. Now it checks size and CRC.
- More and better support for external DDE servers. Now supporting headers filter and better decoding logic.
- From field kill support. From field display of decoded binaries and in file selection dialog.
- Line size display in file selection dialog.
- Can now set a “maximum headers to retrieve” value.
- Can avoid disabling a server
- Can update a selected join or newsgroup
- Unified filter interface.
- Can now select from what point the limited headers are retrieved, from the start or from the end. That is, for example, get the next 200 headers or get the last 200 headers.
- Executed validators results can have several ok values and several not-ok values, as well as any value not in the “ok” group is not-ok.
- Support for absolute directories for newsgroups.
- Support for deleting files by extension (in the validation section)
- Optional auto-deletion of invalid newsgroups.
- Faster processing of newsgroups.
- Better detection of moderated newsgroups.
- Can pause the decoding thread.
- Fast list of newsgroups.
- No newsgroups list size limit
- “Minimum lines” now works as a filter
- Better interface, a la IE4
- “Investigate registry” now supports Netscape Communicator
- New directory setting for temporary files.
- Can stop the update after some time and the time label can be pressed to change the value.
- Can use regular expressions on searches.
- Sometimes minimizing the window will stop the program.
- Problems with window metrics and colors.
- I/O Error 32… seems to be very frequent… agh!
- Popup menus in the preferences window may not appear.
This software comes without any guarantee of any kind. I do not take any responsibility for any damage, loss of income, or any other problems you might experience from using this software. You might not charge anything for the distribution of this software, but the costs of media, shipping, etc.
- Tracy Martin (betatester)
- Ron Currier (DDE interface colaborator)
- Jason Watson (betatester)
- Rusty Benard (betatester)
- …and any user that found a bug or sent an idea.